US 6 / US 99 – Newhall

6_small Newhall
El. 1270′

Downtown Newhall from 5th Street looking north.
Downtown Newhall from 5th Street looking north.
Newhall in 1931, looking northerly. Note the US 99 shield to the right.
Newhall in 1931, looking northerly. Note the US 99 shield to the right.
Older porcelain enamel San Fernando Road sign at Newhall Avenue.
Older porcelain enamel San Fernando Road sign at Newhall Avenue.
Railroad crossing box with San Fernando Road.
Railroad crossing box with San Fernando Road.
Former alignment of San Fernando Road from Lyons Ave to 11th St.
Former alignment of San Fernando Road from Lyons Ave to 11th St.
Former 11th Street signage on San Fernando Road.
Former 11th Street signage on San Fernando Road.
San Fernando Road and Railroad Avenue with former San Fernando Road in the foreground. Note the old striping.
San Fernando Road and Railroad Avenue with former San Fernando Road in the foreground. Note the old striping.
1916 view of Newhall. The Southern Pacific railroad depot is visble near the center, at Railroad Ave and Market St.
1916 view of Newhall. The Southern Pacific railroad depot is visble near the center, at Railroad Ave and Market St.
This bridge north of 11th St. was originally built with two lanes in 1922 and was widened to four lanes in 1935 as shown by the date on the railing. It was replaced by a wider bridge in 1996. The photo dates to 1993 and was taken from the Caltrans Photo Log. Photo Courtesy - CALTRANS.
This bridge north of 11th St. was originally built with two lanes in 1922 and was widened to four lanes in 1935 as shown by the date on the railing. It was replaced by a wider bridge in 1996. The photo dates to 1993 and was taken from the Caltrans Photo Log. Photo Courtesy – CALTRANS.
Old milemarker for State 126 at 13th St.
Old milemarker for State 126 at 13th St.
Map of Newhall from 1938. San Fernando Road makes a jog on the north end of town between 10th St (now Lyons Avenue) and 11th Street. The red line is San Fernando Road.
Map of Newhall from 1938. San Fernando Road makes a jog on the north end of town between 10th St (now Lyons Avenue) and 11th Street. The red line is San Fernando Road.
Old Placerita Creek Bridge from 1926. It was replaced in 1993.
Old Placerita Creek Bridge from 1926. It was replaced in 1993. Courtesy – Caltrans
1939 map showing the Newhall / Saugus routing of US 6.
1939 map showing the Newhall / Saugus routing of US 6.

Newhall was founded in 1876 after the completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad through this area. It was originally located two miles north at the present location of Saugus but was relocated here in 1878. US 6 went through Newhall on San Fernando Road from 1937-1939. US 99 also ran this way from 1928 – 1930. The original main street ran down Railroad Avenue. In 1910, it was moved to San Fernando Road via Newhall Avenue and 10th St. (now Lyons Avenue). In 1935, San Fernando Road was widened to four lanes. US 99 also followed this alignment from 1926 to 1930.

Go East on US 6 / North US 99 (1926-1930)

Go West on US 6 / South US 99 (1926-1930)

Return to US 6 Introduction

(Visited 144 times, 1 visits today)

Your Resource For Highways, Geology, Railroads, History, Bicycling, And More Throughout Southern California Since 1995.

%d bloggers like this: