The intersection of San Fernando Road and Sierra Highway has changed much since 1910 when a road through here was first paved. This road was the Ridge Route. The intersection at that time did not include Sierra Highway north of here. It was not built until 1938. In 1938, Sierra Highway was built as a bypass from San Fernando Road to Soledad Canyon Road. At that time, Sierra Highway was a three lane road between here and Soledad Canyon Road.
US 6 was decommissioned in 1963 and was renumbered to State Highway 14 along this segment. In 1968, Sierra Highway was widened north of San Fernando Road to a four lane divided road. The photo below shows part of the original three lane highway that was bypassed in 1968.
South of here, Sierra Highway was realigned in 1930. It used to follow Campitt Road (Remsen St) through the old oil refinery and back to Sierra Highway at the top of the pass. The concrete roadway was 15 feet wide here.
Go East on US 6 to Solemint via 1939 Alignment
Go East on US 6 to Solemint via 1937-1939 Alignment and US 99 via 1916-1930 Alignment
Go West on US 6 / US 99 (1926-1930)
Return to US 6 Introduction