Basin and Range – Owens Valley
In 1916, the first concrete paving was laid through here from Division Creek to Fish Springs. Portions remain today, mostly buried by asphalt south of Aberdeen Station Road. A short section in the Poverty Hills remains fully exposed to this day. It demonstrates an early idea in paving. When money was limited, paving was laid only where it needed to be. In this case, only one lane was paved with pullouts every 100′ or so. This is similar to the Plank Road across the Algondones Dunes on US 80 in the Imperial Valley.
US 6 bypassed Fish Springs in the mid 1960’s. White striping and old signs can be found along this alignment. The new alignment was built to expressway standards but is only two lanes wide. In 2002, US 395 was widened to a four lane expressway from the Poverty Hills north to Big Pine. The original side is now the northbound lanes.
Go East on US 6 / North US 395 to Bishop
Go West on US 6 / North US 395 to Mojave
Return to US 6 Introduction