These places are some of the remaining points of historical interest in the Santa Clarita Valley. More will be added in the future.
- Bonelli Stadium / Saugus Speedway
Bonelli Stadium, now known as Saugus Speedway. The buildings to the right are old stables for horses. They burned down in November 1996. This stadium was a rodeo stadium before 1947. The stadium then became a raceway until being closed in the mid 1990’s. Now, the stadium gets used for the Saugus Swap Meet which goes on every Tuesday and Sunday.
- The Los Angeles Aqueduct
The Los Angeles Aqueduct was built here in 1913. This photo shows the aqueduct passing through Soledad Canyon just a few miles from Saugus on Soledad Canyon Road. The silver colored pipe in the background is the rebuilt portion of the pipe after being damaged in the 1971 earthquake. The pipe was again damaged in the Northridge earthquake of January 17, 1994. A large spray of water was visible near the top of the cut in the photo.
- The American Theater
Opened in 1940 as the “Tumbleweed Theater”, it was the first regular movie theater in the Santa Clarita Valley. Its construction was partially funded by William S. Hart, a local silent Western film actor. It was later renamed the “American Theater” and has since been turned into an American Legion hall. The theater is located at the corner of Spruce St. and 11th St.
- Old Newhall Jail
Built in 1906 and was used until the 1950’s. It is now a flower shop and still has bars on the windows. Located at the corner of Spruce St. and 11th St. It remains as one of the oldest buildings in Santa Clarita.
- Saugus Cafe
The Saugus Cafe has been in business since 1887. It was open 24 hours as far back as at least 1938 and still is today. They serve great food and have many old photos of the Santa Clarita Valley on the walls. They are located on Railroad Avenue (former San Fernando Road) near the corner of Magic Mountain Parkway. This is also the oldest operating restaurant in Los Angeles County.
- Mentryville and CSO #4
- Pioneer Oil Refinery