San Francisquito Canyon Road
This road runs north-south from Saugus in Santa Clarita to Leona Valley. It is a scenic and somewhat faster route than Bouquet Canyon to the Leona Valley area. San Francisquito Canyon has been home to many things – the Harey Carey Trading Post and numerous horse ranches. The canyon was also a part of the original wagon road between Northern and Southern California. At the time, the summit was known as Turner’s Pass.
The St Francis Dam, also originally in this canyon, collapsed shortly before midnight on March 12, 1928. Over 500 people died as a result of the ensuing flood.