Soledad Canyon Road
This road runs from Santa Clarita to Acton, passing through the scenic and undeveloped Soledad Canyon. The name comes from the Spanish word for solitude. It is a major route for birds and other wildlife. The scenic section begins after the Hwy 14 bridge near Lang Station Road. In 1876, the Southern Pacific railroad line was completed through this canyon and now serves as a commuter line, Metrolink, to the Antelope Valley.
Soledad Canyon Narrows west of the tunnel.
The tunnel. Built in 1938, it was rehabilitated in 1953.
1936 Santa Clara River Bridge. Looking west. This bridge has a wooden decking with concrete pier supports.
Another view of the bridge.
Stone drainage work from the 1930’s.
Store and road cut a few miles east of Agua Dulce Canyon Road.
Looking west from the eastern Santa Clara River bridge.
Upper Soledad Canyon, past the eastern Santa Clara River bridge.
Original railing near Crown Valley Road.
View of the junction of Crown Valley Road (left) and Soledad Canyon Road (right) from the slopes of Parker Mountain.
Approaching Acton from the west. Soledad winds its way below Parker Mountain.
Approaching Acton from the east. Parker Mountain is in the background.
(Visited 629 times, 1 visits today)