Tunnels – San Gabriel Mountains

Mt Baldy Road

Built: 1949 and 1954
Location: On Mount Baldy Road approximately two miles north of the Mt Baldy Road and Mountain Avenue intersection

Lower tunnel, 1949.
Lower tunnel, 1949.
Upper tunnel, 1954.
Upper tunnel, 1954.

Two tunnels were needed along this roadway to bypass a rather treacherous section of roadway along the canyon bottom.

Shoemaker Canyon Road

Built: 1961 and 1964
Location: On an abandoned portion of Shoemaker Canyon Road a couple miles north of East Fork Road.

Northern tunnel from 1964.
Northern tunnel from 1964.
Partly graded roadway and tunnel along the "Road to Nowhere".
Partly graded roadway and tunnel along the “Road to Nowhere”.

Construction on these tunnels was never completed due to budget cuts and environmental concerns regarding the roadway itself. These tunnels would have been the first two of, most likely, many more along a roadway that was planned to connect with State 2 (Angeles Crest Highway) and serve as an additional route north from the San Gabriel Valley.

See Also: Road Building in the San Gabriel Mountains

Angeles Crest Highway (SR-2)

Completed: 1950
Location: Approximately one mile west of the State 39 (San Gabriel Canyon Road) junction

Second tunnel.
Second tunnel.
Angeles Crest Tunnels - West Tunnel - Constructed 1941
Angeles Crest Tunnels – West Tunnel – Constructed 1941

Construction of this pair of tunnels was begun in late 1940 but was delayed due to WWII. They provide a much easier path for the highway through two large rocky ridges instead of a rockslide-prone route around.

Angeles Forest Highway (County N3)

Built: 1941
Location: Near Hidden Springs Picnic Area on Angeles Forest Highway

Tunnel just north of the Mill Creek bridge. Built in 1941.
Tunnel just north of the Mill Creek bridge. Built in 1941.

This tunnel follows a rather spectacular concrete arch bridge that was built at the same time. It also marks a change in direction for Angeles Forest Highway as it transitions from a cliffside roadway to following the canyon bottom for a few miles.

Soledad Canyon Road

Built: 1938 and modified in 1953
Location: Approximately one mile west of Agua Dulce Canyon Road

The tunnel. Built in 1938, it was rehabilitated in 1953.
The tunnel. Built in 1938, it was rehabilitated in 1953.

This tunnel has been used as a movie location a few times, most notably “It’s a Mad Mad Mad World” in 1963 and “Duel” in 1971. A fault line, known as the Pole Canyon Fault, is visible above the west face of the tunnel.

(Visited 484 times, 1 visits today)

Tell Us What You Think! Leave a Comment:

Your Resource For Highways, Geology, Railroads, History, Bicycling, And More Throughout Southern California Since 1995.

%d bloggers like this: